Bruins continue to roll on the competition


The men’s soccer team continued its win streak Tuesday, shutting out the visiting Niagara Knights 4-0 at Trafalgar Campus.

The Bruins (3-0-0) took the lead early in the first half of the game, quickly controlling the pace from goals by both Raheem Edwards in the 11th minute and Molham Babouli in the 15th minute.

Team captain David Velastegui helped dictate the momentum, anchoring the defense in the Bruins end in the first half and helping strikers penetrate in the second half.

“I thought we did well at the beginning. They came out tough but we adjusted our game,” said Velastegui. “Throughout the first 15 minutes of the game we started playing our possession which made our chances come and we were able to capitalize in the first half.”

Niagara (2-2-0) had trouble finding any rhythm through out the game and the Sheridan offense continued to quickly strike and keep the ball in Niagara’s end, forcing the opposition to play defense and commit frustrating fouls.

The game got heated in the 25th minute. A Niagara defender struggled to keep up with the footwork by Babouli and was whistled for the foul, receiving a yellow card for not halting his play immediately.

“We had the game in the bag and started to move the ball even more, our chances came and we missed a couple but stayed with the plan and pulled out a win,” said Velastegui.

Bruins wrestle for control of the ball in Tuesday's game.

Bruins wrestle for control of the ball in Tuesday’s game.

The Bruins out shot the Knights 18-11, with nine shots in each half.

During the beginning of the second-half double blue had a brief scare. Mid-fielder Khody Ellis went down in the 48th minute – he had previously been injured last game after experiencing tightness in his left hamstring where he left the game and did not return.

Ellis was able to pick himself up and continue the game, scoring in the 65th minute.

“My hamstring was a little tight at the beginning of the game, I didn’t want to take any chance last game so that’s why I came off but it’s good now.  It lasted me 90 minutes,” said Ellis

Velastegui saw nothing short of what he expected from Ellis. “Khody is a tough kid, he has lots of pace so a lot of defenders come in hard at him. I believe we need a couple days of rest and we should be coming out strong on the weekend. Khody will be getting treatment so it looks like he’ll be fine for the next game.”

The Bruins’ next match will be at home against Lambton this Sunday at 4 p.m.